Nothing is more comforting than a warm bowl of bean soup on a cold winter afternoon. Bean soup is nutrient-rich, quick to make and a great way to use up those cans of beans that have been sitting on the shelf for weeks. Not to mention the fact that it is a simple way to get a delicious dinner on the table fast.
Your Grocery List:
To make a delicious and nutritious bean soup you will need a few basic ingredients. Here is what you will need to pull together your perfect bean soup:
– 1 onion
– 2 carrots
– 2 celery stalks
– 2 cloves of garlic
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– 2-4 cans of beans (any type – white, red, black, kidney, etc.)
– 6 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
– Salt & pepper
– Optional: fresh herbs (e.g. oregano, thyme, parsley, etc.) for more flavor
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic and saute until onions are translucent and the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the beans and stock to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Using an immersion blender, blend soup until it reaches your desired consistency.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste, and any other herbs you would like to use.
6. Ladle into bowl and enjoy.
– Use pre-cooked or canned beans to make a quick-and-easy soup.
– The beans can be substituted with other legumes like lentils or chickpeas.
– If you want to get creative, add some diced tomatoes, celery root, bell peppers, or other vegetables for added flavor.
– The soup can be topped with parmesan cheese, crispy bacon, croutons, chopped parsley, or any other topping you like.
– If you want to bulk up the soup, try adding some cooked spaghetti to it.
– If you want to lighten up the soup, try using stock only and no cream.
– This soup also freezes well, so make some extra for a later date.
Ways to Enjoy Your Bean Soup:
Bean soup is a great way to warm up in the cold winter months and also make a delicious meal. Here are some ideas on how to serve your bean soup:
– Serve in a bowl along with a big green salad and crusty bread.
– Serve with a dollop of sour cream or ricotta cheese and a side of warm cornbread.
– Serve as a first course for a dinner party.
– Serve with a side of buttered toast.
– Pack in a thermos or a jar to take with you on the go.
– Top with a sprinkle of crumbled feta or grated parmesan cheese.
Bean soup is a nutritious, delicious, and easy-to-make meal that can be enjoyed in many ways. It is a great way to use up extra cans of beans and other vegetables, and it can also be frozen for later. Whether you use pre-cooked or canned beans, or cook your beans from scratch, you can enjoy a warm and comforting bowl of bean soup whether you are at home or on the go.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?