Onion tart is a savory pastry dish meal that originates from French cuisine. It is a scrumptious delight, made with dough-like pastry crust containing a simple custard with caramelized onions, scallions, and garlic. The combination of these ingredients within a buttery pastry yields a unique and delicious flavor you won’t find in any other dish.
Onion tart is a popular option for lunch or dinner, providing a diverse range of flavors and nutrition to a meal. The recipe is quite simple and straightforward, but it must be done properly in order to achieve the perfect balance of flavours. So if you’ve never tried it before, this is the guide you need to get started.
The ingredients you’ll need for your onion tart recipe are as follows:
– 2-3 sweet onions, sliced
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 3-4 scallions, diced
– 2 tablespoons of butter
– 1 sheet of puff pastry
– 2 eggs, beaten
– ½ cup of heavy cream
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– Parsley, for garnish
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
2. Melt your butter in a medium skillet over medium heat.
3. Add the onions, garlic, and scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened and just starting to caramelize – about 10 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and set aside.
5. Roll out your puff pastry sheet into an 11-inch circle on a lightly floured surface.
6. Transfer your pastry circle to a large baking sheet, then spoon your onion mixture onto the center of the pastry, leaving a 2-inch border around the edge.
7. Whisk together your eggs and cream, then pour over the onion and pastry.
8. Finally, season with salt, pepper, and parsley, then fold up the edges of the pastry to create a crust.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 – 30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and the top is lightly browned.
10. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
– Make sure to use a high-quality pastry dough, as this is what helps create the flaky, delicious tart crust you’re aiming for.
– If you’re not a fan of scallions or garlic, you can omit them from the recipe and still get the same delicious onion flavor.
– If you don’t have a pastry roller, you can use a wine bottle to roll out the dough.
– If you don’t want to pre-cook your onions and scallions, you can put them in raw and bake the tart for a bit longer.
Onion tart makes a delicious, flavorful meal perfect for lunch or dinner. The combination of rich, creamy custard and caramelized vegetables is truly unique and not to be missed. Plus, with a few simple ingredients and easy instructions, it is a recipe that can be enjoyed by anyone. So make sure you give this delicious treat a try next time you’re in the mood for something savory. You won’t regret it!