Shrimp Alfredo is a classic Italian-inspired dish made with a creamy parmesan cheese sauce combined with cooked fettuccine pasta, fresh shrimp, and garlic. This easy and delicious dish is sure to be a hit at your next dinner party. With just a handful of ingredients and a few simple steps, you can recreate an Italian restaurant-level dish in the comfort of your own home.
The key to making a delicious shrimp Alfredo is getting the perfect creaminess in the sauce that coats the noodles and other ingredients. It takes just the right ratio of cheese to butter, mixed with heavy cream, to get the desired texture. Of course, you’ll also need to season the sauce with plenty of salt and some freshly ground black pepper for a balance of flavours.
Ingredients for Shrimp Alfredo Recipe
• 8 ounces of uncooked fettuccine
• 2 tablespoons of butter
• 2 cloves of garlic, minced
• 1 cup of heavy cream
• ¾ cup of grated parmesan cheese
• 1 lb of shrimp (fresh is preferred but thawed frozen shrimp works too!)
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Begin by cooking the fettuccine according to the package directions. Be sure to salt the boiling water before adding the noodles and stir them occasionally to prevent them from sticking together.
2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a separate skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant. Pour in the heavy cream, stirring to combine.
3. Allow the sauce to come to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 3 minutes or until it thickens.
4. Once thickened, stir in the parmesan cheese until it is melted and evenly distributed.
5. Add the shrimp to the sauce and cook for about 3 minutes or until the shrimp is cooked through and opaque.
6. When the fettuccine is cooked, drain it and add it to the skillet with the shrimp and sauce.
7. Gently toss to combine everything.
8. Taste and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
9. Serve it up hot with some extra freshly grated parmesan and cracked black pepper. Enjoy!
Tips and Variations
To make this dish even more indulgent, you can add in a few tablespoons of cream cheese or ricotta cheese to the sauce. The richness from these ingredients really takes this dish to the next level.
If you don’t like shrimp, or want an even heartier dish, feel free to use chicken instead. Just make sure to cook the chicken pieces through before adding them to the sauce.
Don’t forget the fresh herbs! Fresh parsley or basil are great additions that add flavour and colour to the dish. Feel free to switch it up and use whichever fresh herbs you have on hand.
If you’re looking to make this shrimp Alfredo a little bit healthier, try using whole wheat or chickpea noodles instead of white fettuccine. Pasta made with alternative flours has become increasingly popular in health-focused cooking.
Serving Suggestions and Pairings
This Alfredo dish pairs well with a light and dry white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio. A simple and seasonal green salad would also go nicely with this dish and add just the right amount of crunch.
When it comes to side dishes, steamed vegetables are sometimes a great choice! Roasted broccoli or cauliflower would balance the creamy sauce and provide a delicious crunch.
But don’t stop there! Garlic bread or homemade focaccia is always a great choice when you’re pairing Alfredo with a side dish.
Shrimp Alfredo is a classic Italian-style dish made with a rich and creamy sauce, cooked pasta, and fresh shrimp. With just a few simple ingredients and a few simple steps, you can recreate this restaurant-style dish in your own kitchen. You can also customize this dish with your favourite ingredients to make it your own. Serve it up with a light and refreshing wine and a fresh green salad and you’ve got yourself a restaurant-level meal in the comfort of your own home!